How to take good notes & Study Tips


Take Courses that you will enjoy

Pick and choose your classes wisely.  Try to pick classes that are taught by good professors and that are of interest to you.  Sometimes this is just not the case, if so, don't give up.  Use the tips that I will have listed below to help get through the class.

Be Prepared

I know, I know, you have all heard this a million times.  But in this case, it really does save you to be prepared for class and assignments.  If you have a paper or a report due, make sure to complete it a few days before it is due and so you can get feed back from your professors and other students.  (This especially helps when you do the project incorrectly... It happens).  It is recommended to read your text before going to class.  I personally like to read my text after class because it makes the lecture more interesting.  

Have fun

Although you do have to study so hard in university, do remember that you also need to have fun.  This is a category that I struggle with.  Often times I feel as if I live in the library and do nothing but study.  This doesn't mean that you should go out and party every second night.  Try scheduling a day or two a week with your friends as long as you have the time.  Even if it is finals week and you are swamped make sure to take an hour here and there to yourself.  You will thank me later.

Take good Notes

I believe that taking notes is an art.  Some days my notebooks are very pretty and other times it looks like a toddlers notebook.  I like to use pens that are highly pigmented rather than pencils (unless there's math involved).  This is because the text "jumps" at you more.  

Use colours but try not to go over board.  Some people love the highlight EVERYTHING.  When an entire page is highlighted it is difficult to retain all the information.  Highlight one or two important words.  Avoid highlighting more than a sentence or two at a time.  Highlighting is used to direct your eyes to the important stuff, keep it simple.

Make lists/tables

Again, when making notes you want them to be quick and easy to read.  By making lists or tables it will really help you to learn the material faster.  It will also allow you to create an image in your head of the material.  




0 comments:

Post a Comment